Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Climbing the Great Mt. Kinabalu


October 17th, 2010

Me and my family had one week to spend on an exciting holiday. We went to KK (Kota Kinabalu) to climb Mount Kinabalu, extended by going to Sipadan, one of the best dive sites in the world! I know, a very busy week- and very tiring too!

Me and my sister before the climb, at Kinabalu Park.

We first hiked through the the forest, sitting on rocks to rest. At the first hundred metre, there was a beautiful waterfall. I felt relaxed watching the water falling into a stream. I felt a little chilly from the splashes of water as it is fresh and cold from the mountains. There was huts that we passed through, resting at each one. We saw Ground Squirrels chirping and running around the forest ground.
A beautiful waterfall at the beginning of the climb.


When we had breakfast, we were given each a set of meal (for lunch and snack) in a bag. We had apple ( for our healthy snack), a drumstick, rice and a bottle of fresh water. We all had lunch at Layang-Layang Hut, which was half way to Laban Rata (our resting place). The toilets were disgusting, but clean enough to be used.

Untreated water at the huts.


After the Layang-Layang Hut, the path began to be more challenging. We climbed orange rocks which reminds me of the desert- not that I've been to one.There were more of these orange rocks as we got higher.
Me and my sister sitting on rocks. (My sister was actually half asleep :D )

We reached Laban Rata in 7 exhausting hours. Me and my family shared a room with these Japanese tourists. In our room, there were4 bunk beds, making a total of 8 beds. The dining hall was at the bottom, with the reception. The sunset at Laban Rata was amazing, I couldn't believe my eyes! The sun was huge as if it was right in front of me. Whilst I stood on the balcony, I could see the slope of the mountain as well.

Me with the background of Laban Rata and Mt. Kinabalu.



The next day, we all woke up at 2am, got dressed and ate breakfast. Once we finished (3.30am), we continued our climb. Me and my sister were very dizzy, so we stopped, sat and rested on rocks. This problem was caused by the high altitude.


Unfortunately, the summit was closed at around 7.45am, and we were still far away from it. I was disappointed that we didn't reach the top after all the hard and exhausting work. Although, we stopped at a point where the view was amazing...
Me at our stop point.

The lights of the houses' were on, as if they were fireflies in a dark night. Lightning lit up the sky as well, though they were far away from us- phew! The houses were bright, looking like yellow dots from the mountain. I wish I could reach the top, but I was still impressed with myself, as well as disappointed. After all, that was my first time climbing a real mountain.

Once we were satisfied with where we left off, we started to walk back to Laban Rata. I didn't feel well and I threw up a little. As I went down, I looked around my surroundings, trying to keep them in my memory; the trees swaying in the cold breeze, greenery all around, and me breathing fresh air. As soon as we got to Laban Rata, I took off my jacket and slept!
My mum going down Mt Kinabalu using a rope.

A few hours later, me and my family decided to check out off our room and get going...
Walking down the mountain was extremely easier- and took less effort! I was in front of my family, since I was going faster than them, but soon my sister caught up with me when I was waiting for my family under one of the huts. As me and my sister walked down the mountain, through the forest part, on flat ground, we told each other jokes etc. My dad and my mum, with the guides didn't catch up with us, so we reached the starting point first. We ate noodles, and had sprite for our drink.


Later on, my dad and my mum, with the guide came and we set off back to the park, for lunch!
After we finished our meal, me and my family set back off on the road and had a rest at Dragon Inn for a night, then caught a flight that is going to Tawau!

(See more pictures of Mount Kinabalu, on "Pictures of Mount Kinabalu.)

(Read my story Sipadan, to continue this journey.)

No comments:

Post a Comment